Stalker (1979)


This is a very odd film in the sense that very little happens yet simultaneously almost too much happens to keep track of; The plot is fairly simple, a group of people move from point A to point B then back to point A again. However throughout this long journey almost three hours I think. Reality, purpose, existence, desires, and fears are discussed in a casual manner. This combined with the sci-fi twist of "The Zone" makes for a truly bizarre but fascinating film.


For me the film taking place in "The Zone" truly made the movie. The Zone is shrouded in mystery; there is no explanation to what it is, where it came from, or what the dangers of it are. Yet this eerie setting is the ideal place to examine something even eerier and more mysterious: people.


There is little or no character development but yet by the end of the film you truly feel as if these characters have shown you a part of their souls.



There was one thing I disliked about the movie: the beginning . The beginning because there is a very long scene where the camera never moves, there is no dialog, and very little action. It is just not a good way to pull a viewer into a film.


If it sounds interesting from what you have read here, then watch it; I recommend it as a good movie to watch while getting better from a hangover.

7 comments:

  1. I've not watch many films this old, but I might get started with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to watch it a few times before I really got it
    all in all it was a decent film, better than a lot of garbage that comes out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about it before. I like these kind of movies, mainstream stuff get's so boring so fast..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've watched it after reading a book, which was an inspiration for the movie. At first, I was a bit disappointed, I was expecting pure adaptation. It was really boring. Three tramps are walking, falling asleep, walking again, arguing without any apparent reason. But it becomes interesting at the end, director created really amazing atmosphere. It's a difficult movie, but worth watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks pretty grim and serious. Just my style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really need to take some time to watch this, considering I have played all the games.

    ReplyDelete