Oldboy

First things first: Oldboy isn't a movie for everyone. It probably isn't even a movie for most people. It likely would rate as one of the worst date movies of all time, and it isn't something you could comfortably watch with your parents. Children definitely shouldn't see this, nor should anyone without a high tolerance for cringe-inducing torture scenes.


 Whom does that leave? People who aren't all that squeamish who place a premium on original presentations of ancient plots, in this case, Revenge. It is a foreign film, but I attributed the weirdness to originality rather than any cultural differences. Finally, I detest implausible movies. While the events in this movie seem highly improbable, I never felt like I was being jerked around by the director.


The plot in brief: After being imprisoned for 15 years without knowing why or by whom, Dae-su is let out just as abruptly. In a typical movie, he would meet a cute girl and the two of them would follow clues to track down the antagonist for the big showdown.


Here, he actually learns the identity of his captor fairly early on, but when he is given the opportunity to deal out his revenge that he's fantasized about for the past 15 years, he realizes he can't do it without learning the truth about why he was imprisoned, and so his captor remains untouched.


For the rest of the movie, Dae-su and the girl he's fallen for, Mi-do, eventually do piece together the truth, with the emphasis on why he was released rather than why he was imprisoned.


A lot of other comments have made reference to Count of Monte Cristo or Fight Club, but the movie I was reminded most of was Se7en, right down to the use of a box.

23 comments:

  1. balls for recommending a movie like this !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably wouldn't have caught wind of this if it wasn't for this blog. Now I'm very interested.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Se7en was teh awesome. I would watch anything that is even close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought Antichrist was the worst date movie... I'm myself pretty bad with date movies, I always try to make the girls I'm interested in watch Annie Hall with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, Antichrist: definitely not a date movie. I was terrified of women for months after that.

      Delete
  5. lol I like how you opened this post. I fall into the category of people that would like this. I really, really did not like this movie. I was really into it for the first half, but then it went down hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reminded me anything but asian people are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ZOMG I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!
    I also love the other film the director did about vampires...
    can't remember the name right away
    but dude if you liked old boy you need to check that shit out
    sadly no pulling teeth with a claw hammer
    but other than that it's all good

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems rather interesting. I like Asian movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this film. It has one of the most beautifully choreographed fight scenes with that hammer.

    Also, some interesting news. Spike Lee is directing a remake of the movie, starring James Brolin as Oldboy and Colin Firth as the villain. It sounds promising.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old Boy is a pretty old film. I'm surprised you haven't heard of it, considering Spike Lee is directing a remake of Old Boy with Josh Brolin as the main character.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this movie is old. but still a classic...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oldboy is a great movie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember how long ago I saw this, how many people I tried to explain how epic the ending was, but they just thought I was into weird crap

    ReplyDelete
  14. Words cannot describe how much I love this movie.

    And how is a 9 year old movie old?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to check this out thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved every damn minute of this movie. brilliant loved it nicely written.
    keep up the good work mate

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seems cool gotta watch it ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a movie i will defenetly never watch...
    Good blog and reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thats wat i call a cinematic masterpiece

    lets hope the remake wont suck too hard
    it will though

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sure the best of the vengeance trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I will definitely watch this movie, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sounds messed up, but kind of like a film you should make yourself watch.

    ReplyDelete